Purple Martins at martin house designed by Taverner. Photographed by Taverner in the garden of his home in Ottawa in the summer of 1916. (Reproduced courtesy of the Canadian Museum of Nature, number 41796.)
One of the first things Percy did when the garden was being laid out in the spring of 1913 was to put up a Purple Martin house. In 1915 a pair nested in it, and in April 1916 three pairs returned to the house.